recursing stop at about 1000 clients

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Thu Jul 15 08:58:36 UTC 2010

On 14/07/10 17:29, Kebba Foon wrote:
> Hi List
>
> i have been having issues with my dns server for a while now,
> my server suddently stops answering to queries. i notice that this
> happen when every my recursive clients is more that a thousand, as per
> the result of rndc status. any help about this will highly be welcome

	I've only ever seen this behaviour as a result of
	underlying network connectivity problems.

	If you can find out some of the following information,
	you may be able to see better what's happening:

     -	what the typical count of recursive clients is on
	your server;
     -	what limit on recursive clients is in effect (by default
	or explicitly configured) on your server;
     -	whether changing this limit simply "moves the problem"
	to appear to occur at the new limit (which would be
	a fairly dependable indication that the underlying
	cause is external to named);
     -	how frequently your server behaves in this way;
     -	how long this behaviour lasts on each occasion;
     -	what else is happening when you see this behaviour,
     -	as shown by log files, customer complaints,
	or other sources of information.

	I hope this helps.

	Niall O'Reilly