Bind hang out when named reach to 5-600 Mb

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isc.org
Tue Jul 13 21:29:19 UTC 2010

At Thu, 8 Jul 2010 02:30:25 -0700 (PDT),
khanh rua <duonghoahoc_k49cd at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I install bind as a cache server on Solaris 10, Sun Sparc T5140. It
> has problem, bind always hang out when named reach to 5-600 Mb
> ('prstat' check). I have several servers and all have this problem
> even when i install bind in zone or try with a 64bit version.
> T5140's a powerful server but bind can't make use of its power. I'm
> newb with bind an so i have just try some other way but useless.

> What should i do to track this problem ?

As others asked, please clarify a bit more what "hang" means.  I'd
particularly interested in
 - whether it responds to rndc (e.g. rndc status)
 - whether it responds to queries for build in data, such as
   version.bind/TXT/CH (try 'dig @server_address version.bind txt ch'
   from the local host).
 - if you enable XML based statistics, whether it responds to
   statistics request over http.  If it does, showing the xml
   statistics while the problem is happening would be useful.

Please also make sure you kernel doesn't have this problem:
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6724237

If you are not sure, and if the query load is not so heavy, (e.g. up
to 2000qps or so), you may also want to try rebuilding named with
--disable-devpoll

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.