GeoIP and maintaining high availability

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Jul 9 16:42:09 UTC 2010

Am 09.07.2010 17:28, Mark Watts wrote:

> The textbook answer is to use anycast, which is how ISC (among others)
> provide redundancy for their F-root nameserver.

Sure, but I'm afraid I won't have anycast available for this project.

> Failing that, you'd probably turn to simply having more than one server
> in any location and employing more mundane clustering and load-balancing
> techniques to share your DNS servers' I address(es) between several
> physical servers.

But even if I have multiple servers at one location, the location itself
can fail (what happened i.e. for Wikipedia quite not so far ago, I think).

Is there anything "better" than relatively small TTL (+ some heartbeat
reconfiguring zones), to be sure the site is still available for, say,
European users (assuming European location totally failed)?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org