Split view - differing SOA serial number

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 11:58:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 07:34 -0400, Alan Clegg wrote:
> On 7/8/2010 7:26 AM, John Horne wrote:
>
> > However, when checking the SOA serial number of our reverse zone we are
> > seeing different values depending on whether we are inside or outside of
> > the campus. This zone is maintained internally by MS Windows servers,
> > and so our main servers (141.163.1.250 and 141.163.177.1) act as slaves.
>
> [..]
>
> > Both views use the same zone file (which currently contains 3330257 as
> > the serial number), and the zone is configured to use a single master.
> > If I use rndc to reload the zone in both views, then nothing changes. If
> > I stop and restart the whole named service, then both views have the
> > same serial number. Why doesn't a reload cause the zone serial number to
> > be updated from the file copy of the zone?
>
> You need to specify different "file" locations for each of the slaved
> zones (even if the data is the same) in each view.

Okay, but why? As said this generally works, it just seems a bit out of
step between the views.

I say 'okay', but actually that means we are going to have to have twice
as many zone files as before (no problem), but we are also going to have
to almost double the configuration size if we have to individually
define each slave zone in both views.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001