FW: BIND 9 errors

Peter Andreev andreev.peter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 06:45:44 UTC 2010

2010/7/1 Y z <yankel at hotmail.com>

> (bind version 9.7.0-P1)
>
> A DNS slave server has two IPs: an internal RFC1918 number to talk to
> the internal net, and an external one to talk to the rest of the world.
>
> If I *don't* put the external IP in a master:
>
> zone "example.com" {
> type slave;
> file "example";
> masters port 1053 { 172.16.0.30; } ;
> };
>
> I get errors:
>
> Jun 30 14:03:54 hostname named[1865]: zone example.com/IN: refused notify
> from non-master: external.ip#59808

This error appears because your master sends notify from external.ip, which
isn't listed in "masters {};" statement.

> Whereas, if I *do* put the IP in as a master, I get:
>
> Jun 30 14:02:08 hostname named[1792]: transfer of 'example.com/IN' from
> external.ip#1053 failed to connect: connection refused

And this error appears because your master doesn't configured to allow
connections to external.ip#1053.

It will be very helpful in resolving your problem if you provide
"options{};" part of your named.conf file.

> (the reason I'm using port 1053 is because the real master is running
> on two different instances, one on port 53, and one on port 1053).
>
> Despite the errors, the zones still seem to function. So, what do I do
> to make the errors go away?
>
> Thanks!

AP