Deny MX queries for dynamic IP pools

Jason W. jwellband at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:12:50 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Wael Shaheen <wael.shahin at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a solution the routing team was thinking to block port 25 for outgoing as
> some ISPs do. However, I do not see this to be a valid solution for many
> reasons such as clients that have email servers outside, or if decided to be
> redirected to spam filters then that will just cost the company too much.
>
> Luckily we have two set of DNS server farms; one that is serving static IP
> users and one that is dedicated only for dynamic IP users. The idea I have
> proposed is to deny these dynamic users from performing MX queries.

Perhaps you may want to join mailops or one of the other mail admin
lists. IMO, this problem (reducing spam emitted from your company's
network) isn't one DNS should be used to "fix". I believe that people
on mail admin forums would be able to share current best current
practices for ISPs/NSPs in your situation.

--
HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

Jason

The path to enlightenment is /usr/bin/enlightenment.