Disabling recursion causes browser hangs on clients with auto proxy config

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Tue Jan 26 04:48:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 07:12:50PM +0100, Frank Stanek wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> > the browser apparently needs to resolve the IP before itdesides whether to
> > use proxy or not. It may be a problem of the .pac file.
>
> I have also suspected the pac file some time ago. We have tried
> to use !(isResolvable(host)) to try and make the browser give up

First problem!

>         || isInNet(host, "192.168.1.0", "255.255.255.0")

Another!

The last tip in the old Netscape "Navigator Proxy Auto-Config File
Format":

* Use of isInNet(), isResolvable() and dnsResolve() functions should be
carefully considered, as they require DNS server to be consulted
(whereas all other autoconfig related functions are mere string matching
functions). If a proxy is used, the proxy will perform its own DNS
lookup which would double the impact on the DNS server. Most of the time
these functions are not necessary to achieve the desired result.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060424005037/wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

--
**