BIND 9.6 - IXFR to slaves not working after manual zone edit.

Pete McNeil madscientist at microneil.com
Fri Jan 22 13:07:53 UTC 2010

Mark Andrews wrote:
> First of all,

Wow- That really cleared things up. I don't recall the documentation
saying any of that very clearly, so we were misled by what we did read.
The problem is solved now:

* Treating the zone on the master as completely normal.
... zone file in /var/named/chroot/var/named
... no allow-updates { } as that causes it to be dynamic

* The script simply reloads the zone
... not using rndc freeze / rndc thaw
... added benefit -- no need to chgrp the zone after writing it --
read-only is sufficient (script is run by root)

* The slaves no longer have ixfr-from-differences, the master does

---------

I'm guessing that my experiment with dynamic updates using nsupdate
failed to produce IXFR because at the time the slaves also had
ixfr-from-differences. I haven't verified that guess - is it correct?

THANKS!

_M