Added new master zone, copy .hosts does not replicate properly

Ryan S ryan332211 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 23:40:28 UTC 2010

We run 2 BIND in master/master configuration in two geographically separate datacenters.  This is done because a master/slave configuration has certain limitations if the master goes down (slave can not be easily modified).

The setup we have works great -- we make changes to "A" or "MX" records in MASTER-A and there is a script that runs every 5 minutes that copies these files to MASTER-B:

/var/named/chroot/var/named/*.hosts and *.rev

So I created a new master zone on MASTER-A, call it "test.com", it creates a new file test.com.hosts on MASTER-A

This file is replicated (copied) to MASTER-B but even though the script reloads BIND on MASTER-B it does not work.  I think there might be a file that has a list of all the hosts or is there some other file I need to also copy over ?  I checked the directory structures and can not find it.

So my setup has been working great modifying existing zones adding and removing records.  But when I add a new zone, it apparently does not work.  So I think I am missing an important file that lists all the zones BIND uses?   What BIND file am I needing to copy to properly replicate MASTER-A to MASTER-B?  I hope this is something very simple ..