Upgrading BIND 9.2.1 to BIND 9.6.1-p3 on AIX

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jan 20 13:55:45 UTC 2010

In message <OFE366DF90.6B8E5635-ON482576B1.00241D55-482576B1.00247C58 at sg.ibm.com>, Balanagaraju Munukutla writes:
> Hi
>
> we are running BIND 9.2.1 on AIX 5.3 TL11. Now, I would like to upgrade it
> to BIND 9.6.1-p3.
>
> Is this BIND version is stable?
>
> Can anybody help me to suggest how upgrade the BIND with minimal impact? I
> am running BIND in "bind-jail".

Apart from the allow-recursion acl now having a tighter defaults,
BIND 9.6.1-P3 will just use the old config assuming that you don't
have errors in your master files.  If you do you should be correcting
them anyway.  Later versions of BIND are less forgiving of configuration
errors.

You can take correct master files from BIND 4.8 (+20 years ago) and
use them unchanged in BIND 9.7.0.

I would just compile named and then run it from the source tree
with "bin/named/named -g <usual arguement>", having first stopped
the current version, and see what it reports.  When you are happy
that all errors are corrected you can install it and adjust your
startup scripts to call /usr/local/sbin/named instead of the
version that ships with aix.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC