file descriptor limits eating my lunch

Patrick Larkin Jr plarkin at corp.earthlink.net
Tue Jan 12 17:52:31 UTC 2010

I've been running BIND 9.4.2-P2 since shortly after
it came out.  I'm on Solaris 10, and two of my 6
machines are complaining about too many open
file descriptors.  I've searched here, and around
and here is what I know:

running 'pfiles' on named on the two complaining
show 1023 files.... the happy ones are showing less
than that.  This tells me there's a limit of 1024
somewhere.

Looking at my system's ulimits, (and experimenting)
it appears the default is 65536, but just confirm
that, I put set rlim_fd_cur=2048 into /etc/system,
rebooted, and ulimit reflected the change.  But
alas, pfiles still only shows 1023.

Doublechecking named.conf, I have had this forever:
	        files unlimited;

I see mentions of 'FD_SETSIZE' in the source, but I
can't figure out how to see what it is set for in my build,
nor really how to change it.

Where else could named be limited to 1024 that I'm missing?
Thanks!

P.S.  I built it on a generic build machine, and run it
on dedicated DNS caching resolver machines, if that makes a diff.

--
  Patrick Larkin Jr - Dallas Texas USA
    Earthlink Core Services Engineering