bindvrs Vulnerability

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Jan 12 16:15:28 UTC 2010

Well maybe...

As has been noted before folks like RedHat use a base BIND version then
backport security and bug fixes into it.   The OP didn't say what he was
running on.   I don't know that there are any supported RHEL versions
that use 9.2 but also don't know that there aren't.

In fact our security audits routinely flag some RedHat things because
they look only at the base package version and not the extended
versioning RedHat uses for such backported packages.   For BIND blocking
the version keeps the auditors from asking the question since they don't
know base version let alone extended version.