Resolving an internal IP address for a domain from an external DNS server?

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Fri Jan 8 09:17:36 UTC 2010

Ok I will try to explain with a diagram as I'm pretty certain that still
no one gets what I'm on about:

|            Remote Network            |

local Network                |
|            DNS server                     |

      radio server                   |
|            local subnets:                  |

         local subnets:                 |
|            192.168.0.0/22                |

    192.168.1.0/24               |
|            public IP:                         |

        public IP:                        |
|            81.178.2.118
|----------------------+----------------------------------+------------------------------|
        212.156.209.87              |
|                                                    |
       |         Internet              |
    |                                    |

    +----------------------------------+

DNS server A record: ns1.optiplex-networks.com
Radio server A record: rd1.optipelx-networks.com
DNS server IP address 192.168.1.100
Radio server IP address 192.168.1.100
DNS server connected to internet via NAT on main gateway

I have a laptop in my local network, of which the radio server is also
on that network.

Basically I would like to know if it is possible to use the DNS server
in the remote network to be authoritative for the radio server in the
local network!

So that if I point my laptops /etc/resolv.conf file to 81.178.2.118 and
do an nslookup for rd1.optiplex-networks.com it will give me a result of
192.168.1.100........

As mentioned I have already tried this and failed dramatically as I get
an error of the server not being found. All other queries work however!

Is this even possible or do I need a local DNS server which is
authoritative for both domains in the local network??

Currently as shown before I have 1 master zone on the remote DNS server
with A records all pointing to the remote network but the local A
records pointing to the local network. Also I have a separate view for
the local network as well to be able to lookup hinted root servers as
well as authoritative domains in the zone file.

Apologies if I'm mixing things up however I am not that advanced with
Bind and up till now only used it for simple things!

Many thanks and best regards,

Kaya