Bind 9.5.2-P1 and rrset-order

Denis Laventure Denis_Laventure at uqac.ca
Fri Feb 19 14:27:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have multiple ip adresses for one server:

www.mydomain.com<http://www.mydomain.com>                   A             10.0.0.1
www.mydomain.com<http://www.mydomain.com>                   A             10.0.0.2
www.mydomain.com<http://www.mydomain.com>                   A             10.0.0.3

I need bind (I'm using 9.5.2-P1 on RedHat Linux Enterprise 5.4) to always return the first one (10.0.0.1) for everyone. So I check the Bind9 ARM and discovered the rrset-order option. It seems that using this option I can force bind to do what I want for that host.

The problem is that Bind9 does not support fixed ordering by default, unless I use -enable-fixed-rrset at compile time. When I add that to configure, I get several warnings:

#  ./configure --enable-fixed-rrset --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
=== configuring in lib/bind (/root/named/bind-9.5.2-P1/lib/bind)
configure: running /bin/sh ./configure '--prefix=/usr/local'  '--enable-fixed-rrset' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var' --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --enable-fixed-rrset
configure: creating ./config.status
configure: WARNING: Unrecognized options: --enable-fixed-rrset

They are just warning, so I ignored them and tried the rrset-order option like in the ARM example in my named.conf:

rrset-order  {
       class IN type A name "www.mydomain.com" order fixed;
       order cyclic;
};

If I try to start bind I get this error:

Error in named configuration:
/var/named/conf/options:20: unknown option 'rrset-order'

If I remove the option there's no error starting named.

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks,
Denis Laventure