Having multiple name servers - is it really necessary

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Tue Feb 2 22:25:50 UTC 2010

Hi,

We have two registered name servers to answer internet queries.  One is on
site and the other is a service of our ISP.  The problem is that every once
in a while the secondary server doesn¹t successfully complete zone transfers
and the data expires.  I¹m not sure what technically how the server answers
when queried for addresses it no longer thinks are valid, but even after
it¹s fixed it takes a while for the bad data to go away.  What I¹m wondering
is, what are the consequences of simply not using the secondary server.
Right now we are looking at hardened appliances configured into a high
availability cluster and I figure the pipe to the outside has a high
likelihood of going down then does the cluster.  So, if name servers out in
the internet can¹t even reach our server because our connection is down, is
that something that also propagates and get¹s cached (i.e. Is no data
treated the same as bad data by upstream bind servers?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager