how do I get a slave to send NOTIFY messages?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Mon Feb 1 03:08:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:11:43PM -0500, Frank Cusack wrote:
> hosts.  zytrax does say that also-notify only applies to type master
> servers however I can't find confirmation of that anywhere else.

I don't believe that this is the case - I'm using them on servers
serving copies of the zone that are slaved to a master copy elsewhere.

The ARM, in Chapter 6, under Boolean Options [for some value of the word
"Boolean", I guess ;-)], says:

"notify

If 'yes' (the default), DNS NOTIFY messages are sent when a zone the
server is authoritative for changes, see the section called "Notify".
The messages are sent to the servers listed in the zone's NS records
(except the master server identified in the SOA MNAME field), and to any
servers listed in the 'also-notify' option.

If 'master-only', notifies are only sent for master zones. If
'explicit', notifies are sent only to servers explicitly listed using
'also-notify'.  If 'no', no notifies are sent.

The 'notify' option may also be specified in the 'zone' statement, in
which case it overrides the 'options notify' statement. It would only be
necessary to turn off this option if it caused slaves to crash."

and under "Zone Transfers" it says:

"When a 'zone' 'notify' statement is set to 'no', the IP addresses in
the global 'also-notify' list will not be sent NOTIFY messages for that
zone."

I suspect that the notify option is set to 'no' either in your global
options or in your view or in your zone.

--
**