bind replication

Gary Wallis wgg1970 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 17:11:17 UTC 2010

Alan Clegg wrote:
> On 12/31/2010 9:39 AM, pyh at mail.nsbeta.info wrote:
>> Ben Croswell writes:
>>> It seems like you
>>> are making the process more complex, instead of just letting BIND do it's
>>> job.
>> No. because I have many zones, and each zone has some views.
>> So the standard zone-transfer will most likely get broken due to the
>> complexity.
>
> Done carefully (which will be the case in all circumstances), doing zone
> transfers within views of many zones is no more "likely to get broken"
> than doing it with external mechanisms.
>
> Been there, done that, have the tee-shirt and certainly don't want to
> use rsync.
>
> AlanC
I agree with Alan, the command line and private tools are great for DNS
admins; but when you need to give end users the ability to 24x7 change
RRs in their zones, automated tools seem to be the only option.

I imagine that the "write once" vs "write and then click" holy war does
not apply in this case.

Cheers!
Gary