bind replication

Gary Wallis wgg1970 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 14:26:34 UTC 2010

pyh at mail.nsbeta.info wrote:
> Torinthiel writes:
>

>> If you know which zone has changed, than you can do "rndc reload
>> zonename".
>> If you don't, than "rndc reload" reloads all zones.
>> You could also try "rndc reconfig", but I think it will only load new
>> zonesm the ones just added in configuration, not never wersions of old
>> zones).
>
> What I'm not sure is, given I have two hosts A and B, A is master, B is
> slave.
> B fetches the zone files from A via rsync.
> But, how B knows that the zone files have been changed and then run
> "rndc reload" to tell bind reload the zones?
> Thanks & Happy New Year!
> Regards.

You need to create your own replication scripts as part of your dns
management process. Simple Perl scripts even BASH works fine. But it may
be a lot of work. And as it has been pointed out, you need to mesh with
the great ISC/BIND software:

rndc

And I would go further pre processing everything using:

named-checkzone
named-checkconf

Just as some have mentioned, when you need to manage many NSs with views
note that the perfect primary/secondary transfer system built in to BIND
(that is really a great distributed responsibility solution and even a
true DNS cornerstone) breaks. It breaks by adding complexity.

If a single entity is responsible for many DNS servers and zones and the
entity has complete control over all the systems, then, I personally
think that managed replication is much better.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_management_software for some free
GPL systems that do work.

Disclosure: I wrote one of them.

Happy new years,