Dynamic zone...

Jeff Justice listaccount at starionline.com
Fri Dec 31 05:13:52 UTC 2010

I apologize in advance for my limited understanding of BIND.  I know
just enough to have our primary and secondary running without any
problems, but I am needing to do something new.  I searched this list
for anything about dynamically updating a zone, but to be honest, it
all seems over my head and I was unclear whether I was reading
something that addressed my need.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a computer on a remote network that gets its IP dynamically
from the ISP.  I need to always know where that computer is.  I had
thought that I could simply "scrape" it's public IP, have it sent to
my primary NS computer (which of course is on a static IP), then use
that information to keep a zone updated on our DNS.  So, for example,
if my main domain for our company were:

abc.com

then it would be nice to have:

remote.abc.com

that I could use to always reach that machine no matter what its IP is.

I'm sure this can be done, but can anyone explain in simple terms what
I need to do?

Jeff