ignoring incorrect nameservers in authority section

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Dec 22 12:18:06 UTC 2010

On 22.12.10 16:53, Sunil Shetye wrote:
> Case 1:
>
> Domain: e-nxt.com
> Real Nameservers: ns1.webpresenceworld.com. ns2.webpresenceworld.com.
> Fake Nameservers: ns5.zenexpress.com. ns6.zenexpress.com.

Why fake?

Both ns1.webpresenceworld.com and ns2.webpresenceworld.com - the delegated
nameservers for e-nxt.com provide the same records for a domain, including
NS records for ns5.zenexpress.com and ns6.zenexpress.com.

The fact that ns5.zenexpress.com and ns6.zenexpress.com do not provide the
has nothing to do with this.

Blame the person who added those NS records to e-nxt.com, someone at
webpresenceworld.com whould know where they get the zone.

> Case 2:
>
> Domain: imagesystems.co.in
> Real Nameservers: ns1.servershost.net. ns2.servershost.net.
> Fake Nameservers: ns1.cyberasiantrade.com. ns2.cyberasiantrade.com.

Exactly the same applies here, just different domain and servers.

Both domains are delegated to servers that provide DNS for the domain, which
is correct. But both domains themselves contain NS Records to different
servers that do not provide those domains.

In both cases, someone has put a wrong NS records to the domain, causing
their unreachability.

Note that the NS records in the domains always prevail over those in
delegation - the DNS master should always know best which servers are
authoritative for it.

The NS records are not fake, they are misconfigured. Admins of mentioned
nameservers may even now know about the problem, since anyone can point his
domain to their servers.

And there is nothing in DNS protocol that would prevent misconfigurations
like that one to appear, and there should not be. It's the domain master who
misconfigured it and has to fix it.

Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody