different DNS Cache get different records

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 12 02:54:14 UTC 2010

In article <mailman.1018.1292063449.555.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Jorg W Young <JorgWYoung+ML at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> One of our records, s3.xxfy.duowan.com, has been meeting the resolving
> problem.
> The different dns cache will get different result for the resolving.
>
> for example,
>
> $ dig s3.xxfy.duowan.com @202.96.128.166 +short
> s3-duowan.xxfy.kunlun.com.
> 60.28.208.177
>
> $ dig s3.xxfy.duowan.com @8.8.8.8 +short
> s3-duowan.xxfy.kunlun.com.
> 60.28.208.177
>
> This is the wanted result.
>
> But some go wrong:
>
> $ dig s3.xxfy.duowan.com @202.106.0.20 +short
> 121.9.240.35
>
> $ dig s3.xxfy.duowan.com @218.108.248.200 +short
> 121.9.240.35
>

> 121.9.240.35 is just the wild record for duowan.com.
> Please help me, thanks a lot.

The two servers for your domain have different versions of the zone.

ns1.dns-diy.com has serial number 3556 and the record:

s3.xxfy.duowan.com.  300   IN CNAME s3-duowan.xxfy.kunlun.com.

ns2.dns-diy.com has serial number 3551 and is missing that record, so it
uses the wildcard.

So talk to your DNS hosting service and find out why their servers are
out of sync.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA