rndc addzone/delzone in 9.7.2rc1 (was: rndc reconfig delays)

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Sat Aug 28 13:17:20 UTC 2010

Seems to me that if you stick with this, a couple of things are necessary
for manageability:

 o Some command to translate a zone file name to a view/zone name, and
vice-versa.  That would enable people to debug based on file contents...

 o A method to migrate zones from today's 'named.conf-configured' to
'named-managed'.  I think this needs to be scalable to Rob's 10k* zones.
Perhaps a migration renames a zone file to the new scheme, and writes a stub
file with a magic token in a file with the old name to tell named to ignore
the named.conf entry and look for the new file?  This way, named.conf can be
cleaned of the old entries at leisure...

  o And, as I think I mentioned before, I'd really prefer to see this
function added to the RFC2136 protocol than added under rndc.  Rndc is not
easy to automate reliably (as Rob notes). And of course it will drive
similar non-standardized approaches in the other nameservers - which is a
hassle for management tools.  If you stick with rndc as the mechanism, I'd
at least like to see a perl library that talks the rncd protocol and
provides reliable communciations and useful status.  (Of course if 2136 were
used, extending Net::DNS (::SEC) would make this easier.)

I have always managed my zones as dynamic - and I think DNSSEC will drive
many others to do the same.  I'm all in favor of making it possible to
add/delete zones dynamically - but it has to be possible to
mange/troubleshoot the result.  (Other interesting operations are 'rename',
and perhaps 'copy'....)

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.