named start-up behavior

Gordon A. Lang glang at goalex.com
Thu Aug 26 16:09:23 UTC 2010

I have not been able to locate documentation defining the named
start-up behavior.  I am particularly interested in zone loading
for slave zones.  Is this information available online?

For example, what if none of the listed masters are reachable at
the time of start-up?  How frequently and for how long is it
retried?  Can this be tweaked?  Can the data on disk (if present)
be used as an interim better than nothing source?

If my memory isn't failing me, I thought the old BIND code used
disk data for slaves before zone transfers -- can anyone confirm
or refute this?  Can anyone explain why a slave should never load
from disk (in the event of a zone transfer failure)?

Thanks.

--
Gordon A. Lang