Multi homed servers and Bind9

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Fri Aug 20 16:44:02 UTC 2010

Windows boxes will do this sorting by default, subject to a registry
setting, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961422.aspx

Other client OSes may or may not sort automatically, but if you want to
force a particular sorting on the server side and you have no
intermediate resolvers (including the clients' own name-resolution
caches, if enabled) which might re-order the responses, check out BIND's
"sortlist" directive.

Another thing to consider is: what if the client connects to the *wrong*
IP address? Is this just sub-optimal from a performance standpoint, or
is it a fatal error? If the client can't tolerate occasional "wrong"
connections, then you need to give discretely *different* answers to the
relevant query/queries, in which case you need to look at implementing
"view"s. But this is a heavyweight solution since it means maintaining
different versions of zones in parallel.

                                                                 - Kevin