Can an NS point to a CNAME

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 13 10:08:23 UTC 2010

On 13/08/10 08:49, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 12.08.10 17:07, Phil Mayers wrote:
>> Thanks, but perhaps I should be more specific about what I'm asking:
>>
>> Is it still the case that *Bind* will not follow a delegation where an
>> NS record points at a CNAME?
>>
>> In any event, as has been pointed out to me, the zone is broken - I have
>> contacted the hostmaster - but I was curious that Bind did not appear to
>> be following the delegation *and* did not appear to be logging an error
>> (which may be my logging configuration).
>
> I have just tested on 4 of our nameservers (their real ips behind
> loadbalancer) and two of them timed out. It seems that direct delegation
> of rhbnc.ac.uk is/was broken too.

As it happens I just spoke to the admin, who has just inherited the
setup and is in the process of fixing it. He has resolved the CNAME
issue and bind can now resolve the PTR I was having trouble with. I
alerted him to the NS/glue mismatch in ac.uk and he's going to sort that
out.

Still puzzled that bind didn't seem to log anything. I will have a trawl
through the source I think; I'm sure it must be my logging config.