new IPs for our name servers problems

Michael Dilworth dilworth at upstreamsystems.com
Thu Aug 12 09:40:28 UTC 2010

hi all

i am wondering if anyone can help because I am a little stuck with this one.

We are in the process of moving our address space from a PA block to a PI
block.  This means I have had to use 2 new IPs for our name servers.

the old address space was 89.221.36.0/24 and the new address space is
91.213.52.0/24

the old name servers we on 89.221.36.20 and 89.221.36.30  I have now updated
the records and we use

ns1.upstreamsystems.com on 91.213.52.20
ns2.upstreamsystems.com on 91.213.52.30

I made these changes about 2 weeks ago at which time i had
very aggressive TTL and minimum values set. My aim being to have the changes
updated within the Internet quite quickly.

The problem I have is that I am still receiving many DNS requests on the
89.221.36.20 and 89.221.36.30 IPs even though my queries out on the net all
say the new IPs are in use.

Furthermore, if i stop my name servers using the 89.221.36.20 and 30 and
then block traffic to these on the firewall DNS lookups from remote hosts
stops working! (e.g. dig ns1.upstreamsystems.com A times out)

perhaps the root or top level servers have still the old data cached? is
this possible?

does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

mike

--
Mike  Dilworth

Upstream S.A.
Mob     :  +30-697-283-4750
Office  :  +30-210-661-8500
Direct  :  +30-210-661-8521
Fax       :  +30-210-661-8550

www.upstreamsystems.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE
The information in this e-mail and any attached files is CONFIDENTIAL and
may be legally privileged or prohibited from disclosure and unauthorised
use. The views of the author may not necessarily reflect those of Upstream
S.A. It is intended solely for the addressee, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering such materials to the addressee. If you have
received this message in error please return it to the sender then delete
the email and destroy any copies of it. If you are not the intended
recipient, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
modification, distribution and/or publication, or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance upon this message or its attachments is
prohibited and may be unlawful. At present the integrity of e-mail across
the Internet cannot be guaranteed and messages sent via this medium are
potentially at risk. All liability is excluded to the extent permitted by
law for any claims arising as a result of the use of this medium to transmit
information by or to Upstream S.A.