Forwarding to two servers

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Tue Aug 10 18:37:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 10:05:01AM -0700, CLOSE Dave (DAE) wrote:
> Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>
> > If you have two forwarders, as you listed, your server will try to
> > forward first to one and then to the other.  If it gets any answer at
> > all from one - even an error answer - it will not try the other.
>
> So forwarding works exactly the same as listing both servers in
> resolv.conf? That behavior is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

This is GOOD behavior.

> > There are many ways to try to cascade name servers and try them one at a
> > time.  By the good design of BIND, none of them work.
>
> If BIND won't do the job, can you suggest another server that will? I
> can't be the only one wanting to do something like this.

BIND does it correctly.  It is incorrect to ignore what one server says
and shop around for one that will tell you differently.  That would be
the one run by the identity thief trying to get all your money and leave
you penniless and unclothed under the bridge.

> > On your new server:
> >
> > zone "." { type hint; file "root.hints"; };
> > zone "private.example.com" { type forward; forward only;
>  >   forwarders { private.domain.server.IP; }; };
> >
> > and put the IP address for this name server and no other in your
> > /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Ah, that might work -- in other circumstances. I understand the basic
> idea to be using separate zones to force forwarding to different servers
> for different domains. Did I understand correctly?
>
> But an unfortunate characteristic of my PRIV server is that it doesn't
> use /any/ domain. It only resolves simple, unqualified names like HOST1.
> This was clearly a mistake in design (from before my time), but I have
> no ability to change it (in the next five years, anyway).

Then either it's not serving DNS or you haven't found the right buttons.
What is it?  Can you explain a bit more?

--
**