My ISP's private address space has dns entries available on the public net , is this right ?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Aug 10 15:01:13 UTC 2010

On 09.08.10 20:09, donovan jeffrey j wrote:
> my isp has some private address space which has dns resolution and can be
> queried from the outside world.
>
> I asked them about this because we use this private address space and it
> is showing up in our DNS lookups. here was there response;
>
> >    I've discussed this with our systems administrators and have been
> >    told that this is performing as expected.  ISP DNS servers do contain
> >    information about private adresses that are in use on our network.
> >    If you are utilizing our DNS servers, you will see resolution of
> >    private IPs to ISP hostnames when appropriate.  That will not occur
> >    using external DNS servers.  You will see resolution of PTD hostnames
> >    to private IPs from external servers, but not IP resolution to
> >    hostnames.  As long as reverse DNS (IP to hostname) is not
> >    propogating, things are functioning normally.
>
> so even from google public dns i see lookups that refer back to a private
> address space on my ISP's net.

what exactly do you see? Do its servers resolve "internal.isp.net" to
private address? Do they respond to reverse lookups of private addresses
with some private info?

While they should not point any services they provide to internal addresses
(until they assign private addresses to their clients which becomes quite
common), it doesn't have to cause troubles, Even if it is kind of
information leak.

How does cat play with mouse? cat /dev/mouse