Clarification on ANY query

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Aug 3 19:52:50 UTC 2010

It might be worth pointing out
a) that you're trying to recursively query a non-recursive nameserver
b) that the MX record is technically superfluous, since its target is
the same as the owner name, and all mail clients will fail over to doing
an A query of the same name if no MX record is present. I understand,
however, that if your negative-caching parameter for the zone needs to
be low for some reason (relative to your positive-caching 1-day TTL),
then the presence of the MX record might save you a certain amount of
query traffic, and therefore serve a practical purpose even if "redundant".

                                     - Kevin