Question on query-source, transfer-source, notify-source

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Tue Aug 3 19:46:31 UTC 2010

and Chris Buxton <chris.p.buxton at gmail.com> replied:
>Why do you need 3 DNS interfaces on one box? Why do you need the extra
>interface?
>
>Perhaps you could simplify, or split the three addresses across
>multiple hosts, or even run multiple instances of named on each box.

Historical.  The DNS servers serve three Class-B subnets, and it was
decided when the servers were placed in production many years ago
that they should have an address on each of the Class-B subnets.
One of the subnets had a /22 that was used for buildings on campus that
did not have IP connectivity; they got their IP via the phone
system copper and a device plugged in to the phone jack.  We had to
have a DNS server on that /22.

We have decided that since we can only place one address in the

      query-source address <dns-address>;
      transfer-source <dns-address>;
      notify-source <dns-address>;

statements, we will choose one of the three addresses on each server
and use it.  I believe that it makes no difference if we use the same
address in each of the three statements, or if we use a different
address in each.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 240, Room 5.B.8             Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov