new webserver ip

Alan Clegg aclegg at isc.org
Tue Aug 3 12:26:39 UTC 2010

On 8/3/2010 8:07 AM, dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:

> $TTL 259200    ; 3 days
> harrisonburg.k12.va.us.         A       174.143.193.47
>

> I made the entry for the new website's ip (174.143.193.47).  But when I
> do a dig, it still comes back with 204.111.40.10.  What do I need to do
> in order to get this ip to point to the newserver offsite?  Or is it
> even possible for me to do this?

If you are doing a query against a caching server, you may have to wait
up to 3 days (see $TTL)

Did you increment the serial number when you made the change?  If not,
you'll be waiting longer.  :)

Note that I did a query against ns1 and ns2 and they don't return the
same answer, so I'm guessing you forgot to increment the serial number.

AlanC