Odd query issue

Atkins, Brian (GD/VA-NSOC) Brian.Atkins2 at va.gov
Mon Aug 2 16:27:22 UTC 2010

Alan,

Nice to see some class lurking on this list! ;)

I don't see much of anything on this side other than the query portion:
02-Aug-2010 16:19:36.610 queries: info: client 172.xxx.xxx.xxx#1845:
query: www.blah.com IN A +

We're extremely limited on disk space on these servers, so we only
capture the most basic info. I don't have access to the masters on the
other side, so I can't check the logs there, either. I ran a couple of
tcpdump/snoop sessions on both the good/questionable servers and a
client machine, no issues were noted.

Since I sent the original e-mail, though, I found that the 'good' server
hasn't received any new transfers for that zone since the other one
stopped providing successful queries. Just for giggles, I stopped the
named service, removed the slave db files, and restarted the service.
The 'good' server started mimicking the bad server.

My suspicion is that the firewall/IPS gurus didn't check everything and
that there is something blocking the queries/transfers.

Brian