one record to be redirected to a specific IP

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Apr 26 11:55:45 UTC 2010

On 26/04/10 12:44, Torsten wrote:
> Am Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:30:26 +0200
> schrieb Sten Carlsen<stenc at s-carlsen.dk>:
>
>> I wonder if the following could be done:
>>
>> - make the zone for www.abcd.com, which would also redirect the
>> "anything else" part.
>> - delegate the "anything else" back to its original owner.
>>
>> like:
>>
>> www.abcd.com.   soa ....
>> @     IN   A    1.2.3.4
>> *       NS<original servers>
>>
>> I am not sure this could work? I am not sure how this redelegation
>> would be seen by the original servers of the zone?
>>

> Bind would refuse to load that zone since a wildcard can't have NS
> records.

As I've mentioned, "unbound" can do this. If the OP want's to stick with
bind, but can tolerate it, he could do something like:

zone "abcd.com" {
   type forward;
   forward only;
   forwarders { 127.0.0.1 port 5300; };
};

...and then run a copy of unbound locally with unbound.conf:

port: 5300
local-data: "www.abcd.com 600 IN A <theip>"

...plus other required config of course.