Resolving .gov w/dnssec

Casey Deccio casey at deccio.net
Thu Apr 22 22:22:05 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Michael Sinatra <
michael at rancid.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> But it doesn't contain the RRSIGs for the DNSKEY.  'dig +norec +cdflag
> dnskey uspto.gov @dns1.uspto.gov' does not contain RRSIGs so it is only
> 1131 bytes.  A non-EDNS0 query will receive the TC bit and will retry in
> TCP.  'dig +dnssec +norec dnskey uspto.gov @sns2.uspto.gov' has a response
> that includes the RRSIGs and is 1736 bytes, which on most ethernets will
> cause UDP fragmentation.  I get a timeout when using dig with +dnssec and
> without +vc.  However, 'dig +bufsize=1024 +dnssec +norec dnskey uspto.gov@
> dns1.uspto.gov' which sets an EDNS0 buffer size of 1024, does get a
> response, after retrying in TCP mode.
>
> In other words, uspto.gov's DNS servers and network are able to send
> bytes, something in the network between those DNS servers and the rest of us
> is blocking the UDP fragments.

Actually, what seems interesting to me is that the cutoff seems to be at a
payload size of 1736, which happens to be the exact size of the complete
response.  Is this just coincidence?

$ dig +bufsize=1735 +dnssec @dns1.uspto.gov uspto.gov dnskey

;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

$ dig +bufsize=1736 +dnssec @dns1.uspto.gov uspto.gov dnskey