Resolving .gov w/dnssec

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 22 21:39:48 UTC 2010

On 4/22/10 8:55 AM, Timothe Litt wrote:
> So, others are also seeing this, and it's not unique to bind or my corner of
> the internet.  Thanks.
>
> It seems to have been going on for weeks, so it isn't going to fix itself.
>
> Who do I report this to so that it gets resolved?

I have had good luck reporting this issues to the contact in the SOA:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
uspto.gov.		7200	IN	SOA	dns1.uspto.gov. nmb.uspto.gov. 2010042002 10800

and I also cc Donna Samblanet who is the whois contact for GOV.  (Try
'whois -h whois.iana.org =GOV' at your favorite unix prompt for her
contact info.)

> FWIW, I tried +vc - from here, it doesn't help.  Also, one sometimes gets
> SERVFAIL - and once in a while, it actually resolves!

That may explain why it's broken for you and not for me.  My BIND
servers (a mix of 9.7.0-P1 and 9.6.1-P3) all resolve uspto.gov
correctly, with the AD bit set.  That's because they lower the EDNS0
buffer if they don't get a response right away, thereby triggering a
fallback to tcp.  Are you blocking (or is your network blocking) tcp/53
somewhere?

> As for the "make work project" and "less stability" comment -- it seems
> likely to me that if DNS packets are being mishandled, others are too --
> just not as visibly.  So DNSSEC may well be an over-due network diagnostic;
> fixing these sorts of problems could equally well reduce retries, delays and
> other mishandled fragments for other protocols. I'm not ready to blame the
> indicator for the underlying problem.  At least until we get to a
> DNSSEC-unique root cause.

You're correct that this isn't a DNSSEC problem.  It's arguably not even
a DNS problem, since UDP fragments are used by other protocols.

michael