How does load balancing operate on >1 forwarders

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Mon Apr 19 08:26:59 UTC 2010

A long time ago it used to be in turn, but all current versions of BIND
sort the forwarders based on a preference value (SRTT) that's derived
from the RTT of previous query/query response interactions, with a 'time
since we last tried this server' incorporated so that servers that
aren't top of the preference list are periodically re-used.  It also
means that if a server becomes unavailable, it gets time-penalised and
therefore the others of the group will be used instead until the penalty
has decreased over time - at which point, if it's back and running once
more then it's going to be selected (or not) as before on 'nearness'.

You can see the SRTT value of nameservers in the ADB section of the
cache dump (from rndc dumpdb).  Smaller values are preferred.

What version are you using?