"shut down: operation canceled" on zone transfer

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Apr 19 02:37:42 UTC 2010

In message <4BCBBD47.70606 at argoinf.com>, Peter Skipworth writes:
> Mark Andrews wrote:
> > In message <4BCBB36F.6040504 at argoinf.com>, Peter Skipworth writes:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a primary and secondary nameserver which host a number of
> >> domains. Recently, the secondary has started failing to sync one of the
> >> domains, and comes up with the following...
> >>
> >> Apr 19 10:46:06 fw2 named[24065]: transfer of 'mydomain.com.au/IN' from
> >> 203.XXX.YYY.ZZZ#53: shut down: operation canceled
> >> Apr 19 10:46:06 fw2 named[24065]: transfer of 'mydomain.com.au/IN' from
> >> 203.XXX.YYY.ZZZ#53: end of transfer
> >>

> > What else is being logged?
> > Can you transfer the zone using dig from the slave, from somewhere else?
> >

> I've just tried - if I try and transfer any other zone using dig from the sam
> e secondary, it works.
>
> If I try transferring the 'broken' zone, it sits there for about 30 seconds a
> nd then comes back with nothing at all. I see a few messages on the primary s
> tating "AXFR started".
>
> If I try from another secondary, it works, though.

I would be looking at a packet trace.  I suspect something in the
data stream is causing a issue with a router or some other piece
of equipment.  I would take a packet trace on the master and a
packet trace on the slave and compare the data streams from both
places.  You could also compare the broken stream with the good
stream to the other secondary.

For a workaround you may want to see if you can transfer the zone
from the other secondary.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org