Migrating DNS servers, need advice on hardware

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Sat Sep 19 20:53:08 UTC 2009

Kaya Saman wrote:
> Frank Bulk wrote:
>> Perhaps the inverse would be more interesting: what's the lowest-spec
>> hardware that could host an OS that would run the latest version of
>> BIND. =)
>>
>> Frank
>>

> Silly guess, but a cell phone running linux?? (with static IP could be
> a mobile domain server)
>

> As stated previously I have it running on 440MHz SPARC currently with
> 360MB RAM..... I guess this could be pushed down to a PI or PII, --- I
> am aware of the differences between the CISC based 64bit SPARC chip
> and the RISC based 32bit Intel ;-) incase any one has any objections...
It's not Bind or perhaps is some sort of hacked out version but
basically since Cisco IOS comes with it's own DNS server which I have
dabbled in on my 857W at home, being based round BSD I presume with the
right OS one could run Bind comfortably on that??

Taken from output of show version: Cisco 857W (MPC8272) processor
(revision 0x200) with 59392K/6144K bytes of memory.

I'm pretty sure the little 857W would run Bind if someone actually was
able to build BSD on it or so...... it has 64MB of RAM too so should be
good enough for at least 5 people. {provided one takes out the systems
routing capability though as the way I use the router is maxed out lol}