Migrating DNS servers, need advice on hardware

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Sat Sep 19 19:09:49 UTC 2009

Pedro Alvarez Espinoza wrote:
> You need to consider three components for memory: OS + other services;
> the zone files you load + cache you want.

Many thanks Pedro :-)

I think since I plan to run with Linux at first say 2-3GB memory should
be fine as I will use Zimbra and Apache with it too on 2 physical boxes.

That should be ok. Although when I migrate to OpenSolaris I may need a
bit more, say 4GB depending on what else I will have running. But I
think definitely the way to go for me looks to be running multiple
services on one machine unlike now where my machines aren't powerful enough.

Since a dedicated machine for my home setup for just one specific
service I reckon will be overkill and unnecessarily increase my budget.