Need help on delegation to subdomain/external servers

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 18:15:59 UTC 2009

I have done some testing of the RTT forwarding and found that as long as
only one, or the other of the two "nameservers" that you forward to is
active at any given time the switch over is actually very quick.
The exception being the first query when the currently active forwarder dies
and the second comes up.  The reason being that the first query has to wait
for a timeout cycle before trying the second forwarder and readjusting the
RTT values for both.

So theoretically if your forwarders are 10.1.1.1 and 10.2.1.1 as long as
only one will answer queries at a given time with their own "right" answer
it should failover fairly quickly.  If both answer then you will be at the
mercy of the RTT as to which answer you will get.

--
-Ben Croswell