is TSIG key rollover possible?

Sebastian Castro sebastian at nzrs.net.nz
Wed Sep 16 20:48:39 UTC 2009

Mark Elkins wrote:
> Don't think TSIG Key roll-over is possible - in the DNSSEC sense. Don't
> think it is as necessary either. I have separate TSIG relationships
> between my Primary and Secondary peers. I use the same TSIG for all
> zones that are on both peers - the TSIG is to secure the path between
> the two peers. I also have 'ssh' access to the peers and in order to
> perform a 'roll-over' would be logged in (ssh) to both sides of a single
> pair of peers when doing the update. The job thus would be..
>
> a) change the config files on both sides
> b) signal named to reread its config - on both sided
>
> In total - I directly look after just eight such pairs of peers - not
> that hard. I change the signatures every 9 months.

Thanks for sharing your experience. In my particular case, I 'own' part
of the set of nameservers for my zones and the rest is provided by
external DNS providers. When you have full control of your machines, you
can prepare this change without issues: you change the keys, check the
conf files, push the new files and reload everything. But when you have
third parties involved in different time zones, is more complicated to
coordinate a time to do the same task.

I will investigate more based on Mark Andrews' reply and let the list know.

cheers
Sebastian Castro