Modified a zone, so when it becomes available?

Frank Stanek frank.stanek at est.fujitsu.com
Wed Sep 16 08:02:39 UTC 2009

Robert Spangler schrieb:
> On Tuesday 15 September 2009 08:16, Frank Stanek wrote:
>
>>  Please forgive my naivety if this is totally wrong but
>>  I don't have a chrooted bind environment to verify this atm.
>
> I run a chroot environment
>
>>  But doesn't the init script in some distributions copy the
>>  configuration files (including zone files) into the chroot
>>  joil because bind cannot access them in /etc from there?
>
> Not that I am aware of.  If you know of a distro that does this let us know.
> A chroot'ed bind has no knowledge of anything outside of it's chroot
> environment so the files have to exist there.
>
>>  That could explain why it works when you use the init script
>>  to restart bind but it doesn't when you do rndc reload -
>>  the modified files don't get copied into the jail with
>>  rndc reload.
>
> And they do not with the init script either.  The init script is shutting down
> bind and then reloading it again which forces a fresh read of all the files,
> as rndc is just telling bind to re-read the zone.

You are correct. I just had a chance to look at
/etc/sysconfig/named in a SLES 10 installation and
it says this:

# Shall the DNS server 'named' or the LightWeight RESolver Daemon,
lwresd run
# in the chroot jail /var/lib/named/?
# Each time you start one of the daemons with the init script,
/etc/named.conf,
# /etc/named.conf.include, /etc/rndc.key, and all files listed in
# NAMED_CONF_INCLUDE_FILES will be copied relative to /var/lib/named/.

So the configuration and key files do get copied into the
chroot jail. But the zone files on SLES 10 already reside in
/var/lib/named, so that could not have been the problem.

Apologies and kind regards