Modified a zone, so when it becomes available?

Frank Stanek frank.stanek at est.fujitsu.com
Tue Sep 15 12:16:25 UTC 2009

Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago schrieb:
> El mar, 15-09-2009 a las 11:50 +0100, Cathy Almond escribió:
>> Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago wrote:

>>> I always update the serial, I know little but I know this ;)

>>> This master server is its own server, so that's not the case...
>>>
>>> After making changes to zone, updated serial, and rndc reload, I dig my
>>> zone and get always the old serial. The serial and the changes only
>>> appear when I '/etc/init.d/bind restart' it.
>>>
>>> I use bind 9.5.1 on debian 5.0.3.
>>>
>>> Any clue?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>> Are your zone file modification timestamps being updated when you make
>> changes?
>
> Yes, it updates as I write on the zone file. What shocks me too is that
> every while the zone file timestamp updates automatically I think due to
> bind's strange beahaviour, my configuration is as follows, nothing
> fancy:
>
> options {
> 	listen-on { any; };
>         directory "/var/cache/bind";
>         query-source address 10.5.20.11 port 53;
>         version "hidden";
> 	allow-notify { none; };
> 	allow-transfer { slaves-dmz; };
> 	transfer-source 10.5.20.11;
> 	allow-query { slaves-dmz; localhost; };
> 	forwarders { 10.5.20.12; 10.5.20.13; };
> 	forward only;
> 	transfers-in 100;
> 	recursion yes;
> };
> include "/etc/bind/dmz/zones";
>

> Where "zones" is a file containing another 'include' statements with the
> zone configuration of each domain like:
>
> include "/etc/bind/zone1.conf";
> include "/etc/bind/zone2.conf";
> include "/etc/bind/zoneN.conf";
>

> My server is chrooted and, otherwise everything else works fine.

Please forgive my naivety if this is totally wrong but
I don't have a chrooted bind environment to verify this atm.

But doesn't the init script in some distributions copy the
configuration files (including zone files) into the chroot
joil because bind cannot access them in /etc from there?
That could explain why it works when you use the init script
to restart bind but it doesn't when you do rndc reload -
the modified files don't get copied into the jail with
rndc reload.

Kind regards