Modified a zone, so when it becomes available?

Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago marcos.lorenzo at ayto-getafe.org
Tue Sep 15 10:28:24 UTC 2009

El mar, 15-09-2009 a las 07:04 -0300, Leonardo Rodrigues escribió:
> Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago escreveu:
> > When I modify a RR or add a new one on an existing zone, I have to
> > restart master server to make the change available. Is there any other
> > way to reload the zone without stopping bind?
> >
> > I've tried with:
> > 	- rdnc reload [zone]
> > 	- rndc reconfig [zone]
> > 	- rndc refresh [zone]
> >
> > Am I missing anything?
> >

>     'rndc reload' is enough to make the zones being re-read and
> new/updated records available.
>
>     Problably you're missing:
>
> 1) to increment the zone serial ... if you dont do that, bind wont know
> you updated the zone. That's important, ALWAYS update the serial when
> changing/adding records;

I always update the serial, I know little but I know this ;)

> 2) your DNS server itself is using another DNS server which is caching
> the records, so cache needs to expire so new/updated records can be
> seen. You can have your DNS server using itself (127.0.0.1) as DNS
> server, that should solve if this is the problem;

This master server is its own server, so that's not the case...

After making changes to zone, updated serial, and rndc reload, I dig my
zone and get always the old serial. The serial and the changes only
appear when I '/etc/init.d/bind restart' it.

I use bind 9.5.1 on debian 5.0.3.

Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

--
| Air is water with holes in it                                         |