Forward zone files not working on Bind 9.3.6-P1 for Solaris and OpenSolaris??

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Fri Oct 30 21:10:17 UTC 2009

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> If you're loading a zone as "sgd.test", then an owner name of
> ns-m.test doesn't belong in it, and BIND is correct to reject it.
>
> Either change that name to something under sgd.test, or set up a
> separate zone for ns-m.test or anything above that in the hierarchy
> (i.e. "test" or root).
>
> I don't know why this would have worked in your old environment, but
> then again I don't know what version "BIND 9 from Blastwave" is, or
> what you mean by "skeleton of the files".
>
> - Kevin

Hi Keven,

thanks for responding :-)

By skeleton I meant format. Sorry if put badly but basically I have
noticed that through different versions of Bind the overall layout and
format of the zone files does change for some reason especially since I
have gone from various Linux distros to Solaris now;

To give you an example of what I mean, taking the domain as domain.com:

;
; BIND data file for example.com
;
$TTL 1d
@ IN SOA ns-m.domain.com. mail.domain.com. (
2009103007 ; Serial
7200 ; Refresh
120 ; Retry
2419200 ; Expire
86400) ; Default TTL
;
IN NS ns-m.domain.com.
ns-m.domain.com. IN A 192.168.2.24
sgd.domain.com. IN A 192.168.2.24

Then reference this in named.conf calling the zone 'domain', like so:

    zone "domain" {
       type master;
       file "/var/named/domain.db";
       allow-query { internals; };
    }

Actually I think I see what you mean about: "If you're loading a zone as
"sgd.test", then an owner name of ns-m.test doesn't belong in it, and
BIND is correct to reject it". as the zone should be called test within
named.conf not sgd.test!!

This is quite a good learning point actually since the $ORIGIN statement
then gets negated as the zone's origin becomes 'test' at least in my case.

Am I correct in my evaluation with the last two sentences???