New BIND server

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Oct 28 18:26:44 UTC 2009

Yeah, look it over, but take the zone-transfer restrictions and
version-obfuscation stuff with a bit of a grain of salt. Those parts are
a little too PHSCSE (Pointy-Haired So-Called Security Expert)-ish for my
tastes, verging on Theater. At least they finally got rid of the "bogon"
stuff.

Chroot and unprivileged, on the other hand, are _de_rigeur_ for anything
facing the Internet directly, as is view separation (or, to be more
hardcore, process-instance/listen-on or machine separation) between
recursive-resolver and non-recursive/authoritative roles.

If you're slaving, you'd also want to set up TSIG-authentication between
masters and slaves. That's not shown in the template.

- Kevin