Nslookup not showng TTL

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 15 13:23:47 UTC 2009

In article <mailman.708.1255599991.14796.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 John Horne <john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 10:47 +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 09:06:56AM +0100, John Horne wrote:
> > >
> > > How can I see the TTL value using nslookup?
> >
> > I'm not sure how force nslookup to show TTL but the `dig` utility is
> > far more better tool for getting such information:
> >
> I agree, it's not for me though :-)
>
> I have to teach some Windows people about the DNS, and wanted to show
> them that they could use 'nslookup' on either the Linux box provided, or
> their own Windows PC's. ...

Please don't.  nslookup is a very blunt tool, occasionally comes very
close to lying to you and, as you've found, obscures some information
that you actually want to see.  Like this:

> ... In this instance the TTL is important. ...

> ... It may, however, be better to introduce them
> to dig rather than having to maintain the nslookup command.

Do it.  Use host if you have to but stay away from nslookup.

Sam

Sam Wilson             one of hostmaster at ed.ac.uk
Network Team, IT Infrastructure
Information Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK