recursion on auth-only server

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Oct 6 20:08:56 UTC 2009

On 02.10.09 18:50, Peter Dambier wrote:
> I know you can use bind as your local resolver. It does query from the root
> down until it finds what it is looking for - when you don't use forwarders.

I know that too but this particular server isn't designed to be used as
recursive and I don't want it to be.

> dnscache which is part of djbdns does always query from the root down.
> It never uses forwarders.
>
> I don't know for sure if the "Authoritative Answer Only" bit is set but I
> guess no.

It's RD (recursion desired) flag and my question is if any nameserver is
known by sending queries with this flag set.

I don't care if they do recursion themselves, but if anyone asks this server
with RD flag set, the answer will be venemous.
Remember half the people you know are below average.