SIBLING GLUE address records (A or AAAA)

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 20:03:17 UTC 2009

I would imagine the answer will be that they aren't required but would be
helpful.

Since the parent .xx is delegating to the second-level domains, if you do
glue for all four DNS servers you are preventing a remote DNS server from
having to go to the servers for example.xx to get the A records for the DNS
servers for otherexample.xx.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Sergio Ramirez <sramirez at seciu.edu.uy>wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   In the following example, the authoritive server for
> zone .xx has configured the delegations of the zones example.xx
> and otherexample.xx:
>
> example.xx  NS  ns1.example.xx
> example.xx  NS  ns2.example.xx
> ns1.example.xx A  11.22.33.44
> ns2.example.xx A  11.22.33.55
> otherexample.xx NS ns3.example.xx
> otherexample.xx NS ns4.example.xx
>
> the bind report these messages:
>
> "ns3.example.xx has no SIBLING GLUE address records (A or AAAA)"
> "ns4.example.xx has no SIBLING GLUE address records (A or AAAA)"
>
> because the glue records are not configured in the zone .xx, for
> ns3.example.xx and ns4.example.xx
>
> Are these glue records requiered ?
>
> I understand that is not. Is this right ?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Sergio R.

-Ben Croswell