Glue record miunderstanding

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Oct 1 20:03:05 UTC 2009

Hello, I believe I understand what a glue record is, and why I would
need one.  I would like some clarification if possible.

While I am not the hugest fan of the dns report services, this report
was brought to my attention:
http://www.intodns.com/hostwizard.com

It says I am missing glue for my ns1 at 64.84.37.14

This domain is registered through goDaddy.

First Question:
What is the procedure for using `dig` to determine that I am in fact
missing an A record for my NS at the parent NS?  I would like to
confirm their message.

Second, I logged into the control panel at GoDaddy, (I do not mind
switching registrars, though I find it hard to believe they do not
supply glue records for NS's), and I see something that looks like a
glue record area.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/340087/Drops/10.01.09/dns-8234d865-130008.png

However, I did not add that data, it was already there.  It also
references IPv6, and any edits or changes to it do not seem to stick.
I emailed support at GoDaddy, asking how to add a glue record through
their system.  I am not sure they understood the issue at hand, but
this is what I recieved back:

	Thank you for contacting Online Support. Unfortunately this is not
	something you would be able to setup through us. We apologize for
	any inconvenience.

Is it also correct, I only need a NS glue record for the actual NS
itself.  There does not need to be a glue record for very zone that I
am providing DNS for?

Thanks for any suggestions.